The holiday season is list-making season for me. Who I need to buy presents for, what I need to do, and maybe most importantly, where I need to be.
If you aren’t a list-maker, no worries. This isn’t about lists. This post is about gifting whoever has a large or small role in your life a little token of appreciation. Maybe it is the host or hostess that is having a holiday gathering, a wonderful teacher your kiddo might have, the bus driver who gets them safely to school each morning, and safely home. You get the picture.
One of my favorite ways to do this is to make homemade gifts. There’s something personal and thoughtful about a gift that someone made with their hands. Since I am an essential oil lover, I can give gifts that not only smell wonderful, but are natural without chemicals or toxins attached to them.
So, today, holiday room spray.
Because—it’s one of my favorite things to make. It is super simple, and I haven’t found anyone who doesn’t like their house to smell good.
Few reasons why I chose Room Spray:
- Hello Toxicity: Did you know that commercial air fresheners are known to contain many different chemical agents to neutralize offensive odors and create a more pleasant scent? The basic ingredients in air fresheners are formaldehyde, petroleum distillates, 1,4 dichlorobenzene and aerosol propellants. Recently many of these chemicals have been investigated for their safety. Many common chemicals found in air fresheners have been found to be toxic to humans and may increase the incidence of many different health problems. Do you want to breathe that into your body? My answer is um, NO.
- Why Essential Oils? If you are using a conventional air freshener, you are spraying chemicals into the air to cover the odor. When you diffuse essential oils, or make an essential oil room spray you are spraying plant-based goodness into the air that is working at purifying the air, not covering the odor. Putting essential oils into the air improves your indoor air quality, which can help to clean the air and reduce airborne pathogens. It basically is the antithesis of an air freshener. They have the same function but are doing opposite things for your health. You are giving the gift of wellness with a room spray.
- It is so easy to make. Literally – a little water, a splash of witch hazel (which acts as an agent to mix the oil and water better), and some essential oils. Read on for the super simple recipe.
How to Make a Holiday Room Spray
I usually don’t use plastic with my essential oils, but that being said, I bought this bottle for making my room sprays and I love it. It has a further reach than the typical spray bottles, and it sprays wider like the convention brand containers.
- I take the bottle, open it and pour filtered water into it, until it almost reaches the top, but not quite.
- I then add about a splash of witch hazel (about 1 to 2 teaspoons).
- Then I add anywhere from 10 to 30 drops (or more) of my favorite essential oils.
- Close the lid and shake. Done.
- The labels I use, like the one in the photo are these. They are water-proof and oil proof.
Some of my favorite essential oils to use for holiday room sprays are:
- 15 drops Stress Away and 15 drops Peppermint (smells like a candy cane).
- 14 drops Cinnamon, 14 drops of Orange, and 14 drops Pine (I call this O Christmas Tree).
- 20 drops or more of Christmas Spirit essential oil, you can do more and make it as strong as you like (just smells like Christmas). Click here to read more about this oil blend.
Really you can use any essential oils you want to make a plethora of different scents depending on the season and your personal tastes.
I’ve found that slowing down a little bit during the holiday season with intention and making homemade gifts, is a blessing. When I am making them, it gives me the opportunity to think about that person, what they may want or need, and customize it to their liking.
I love to put a bow on the bottle and put it in a pretty bag or sometimes I add some other things to the gift and wrap it in some clear cellophane with a festive bow. Perfect, pretty wellness inspired gift.
If you need to get essential oils in your life, start here.
~Or e-mail me your essential oils questions by clicking on the “Oils” tab on the top menu bar, and filling out the form on the right of your screen.
Also, follow my wellness journey on my Instagram account @naturalbeautyandliving
Wishing all my readers an amazing holiday season, with great holiday room sprays to boot!