Let’s talk about hormones. Working closely with essential oils, I have the privilege and opportunity to chat with many women. Many of these women come to me with questions regarding how they feel out of whack. I have noticed this pattern repeatedly, and I have one general area that I am positive about and that is….
It doesn’t matter what age.
All ages feel like something is off, so it made me really start thinking. When we hear the word hormones we think of cycles, PMS, and related acne, but let’s think about the root.
What is making us women, of all ages, feel like our hormones are imbalanced?
My research found that seemingly innocent things we do on the daily, can cause imbalance.
- Toxins in our beauty products. Toxins such as formaldehyde, fragrance, lead, mercury, parabens, oxybenzone, DEA/TEA/MEA, sodium lauryl (ether) sulfate (SLS, SLES), and Phthalates are lurking in our conventional cosmetics and personal care items that can disrupt your hormones. We are using products every day that can put estrogen blocker’s into our bodies and don’t allow the estrogen’s to work as well as they should. Chemicals, called phthalates, are found in many conventional personal care products. “A study in the Journal of Applied Toxicology discovered that 99% of breast-tissue samples from 40 breast cancer patients had traces of at least 1 paraben—and that 60% of the samples had traces of 5 different parabens.” (Women’s Day Magazine) Check out my post here explaining ingredients to avoid and why, and this post why I choose natural living,
- Hand Sanitizer. They say that the constant and consistent use of hand sanitizers can alter the amount of good and bad bacteria in your body. There are investigations on-going about the use of antibacterial soaps because of an ingredient called triclosan. This chemical “may boost estrogen levels in women, as well as suppress thyroid function.” More info on that here. My tried and true replacement is Young Livings Thieves Waterless Hand Purifier. It smells amazing, is completely chemical free, while also helping to support your immune system. I won’t ever use anything else.
- Cleaning Products. Have you heard of the Dirty Dozen? These are chemicals that can be in cleaning products (as well as personal care products) that are endocrine disruptors. You can download a PDF on these at the ewg website (linked above.) When I think back to the days when I would get nasty headaches while cleaning, or having my nose and eyes burn while scrubbing, I was breathing in those nasty toxins and they were wreaking havoc on my body. I now only use plant-based products to clean my home. Thieves Household Cleaner is what I use on every surface of my home. It smells good, and at the same time as I clean it offers me some immune support. Here is an article I found specifically about household cleaners and their toxicity. My solution is Thieves and the past year I have been using it, I have found it cleans better than the conventional products ever have.
- Stress. “Stress can cause a number of changes to your hormones, including cortisol, epinephrine, and adrenaline, which can cause issues with your heart, raise your blood sugar levels, affect your digestion, and even increase your appetite, according to the American Psychological Association.” (Bustle.com) I, personally, use Cortistop Women’s Capsules as a supplement to help deal with stress and a variety of essential oils. This one is my favorite oil for stress.
- Sleep. “Women who have problems sleeping are more likely to have hormonal imbalances.” This article explains it really well and gives tips for getting better night-time z’s. It makes sense that restful sleep would support and help our systems. I know that I use specific essential oils at bedtime that help support my system while I sleep.
My research found many different areas where we can go astray, and like everything in life sometimes we have no control over our environment or situations. But, by paying attention to these influences you can help keep your body more balanced and avoid any issues down the line.
If you have questions about any of the essential oil products that I mentioned in this piece, please reach out to me by clicking on the “Oils” tab on the top menu bar, and filling out the form on the right of your screen.
Also, follow my wellness journey on my Instagram account @naturalbeautyandliving
If you have been thinking about getting started with essential oils and are ready to take the plunge go here. I would love to support your journey into oils. Buy a kit. Join a community. Love a lifestyle.
If you enjoy my posts, scroll down to the bottom of the page and fill in your information under “connect.” You will get my weekly post sent right to your inbox.